Dr. MAHESH.D.M. – MBBS, MD (Medicine), DM (Endocrinology,CMC,Vellore), DNB (Endo), KMC Reg. No.66299, is focused on service, education and research in the various Endocrine disorders. He has a special interest in type 1 diabetes, diabetic foot, pituitary disorders, endocrine disorders in pregnancy, and endocrine education.
- Received the award for “Best Community Services carried out during the DM tenure”at the 13th A.V. Gandhi Award for Excellence in Endocrinology-2014 held in Mumbai on 15th February 2015.
- Awarded the 2ndposition in the Grand Finale of the Torrent Young Scholar Award (TYSA) Endo-2013 held on September 8th, 2013 at Torrent Research Centre, Ahmedabad.
- Awarded 1stPRIZE for the ORAL PRESENTATION titled “The study of pregnant women with diabetes and screening for a panel of ten MODY (maturity onset diabetes of the young) genes utilizing Next Generation Sequencing” in the 2014 ESICON held at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Received2nd PRIZE for the POSTER titled “Hypoglycemia unawareness in Type-1 Diabetes Mellitus” in the 2014 ESICON held at PGIMER, Chandigarh.
- Received 1stprize in the Radiology Quiz conducted on the 23rd Update on “Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine” conducted by Department of Pulmonary Medicine, PGIMER, Chandigarh on 12 October 2008.
- State Level Scholar at the National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)-1995
- Submitted a dissertation titled ‘Profile of Acute Poisoning in Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital, Shimla’for obtaining the degree of MD (Medicine) at Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla, under Himachal Pradesh University.
- Submitted a dissertationproject titled “The Study of pregnant women with diabetes and screening for mutations related to common MODY (Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young) genes and polymorphisms in TCF7L2” as part of DM (Endocrinology) thesis under The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University.
- Have done an AUDITof patients referred for DXA scanning in a south Indian Tertiary care Centre, Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Have worked in the following projects at Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- “Maturity onset diabetes of the young in India -a distinctive mutation pattern identified through targeted next generation sequencing”
- “Hypoglycemia unawareness in Type-1 Diabetes Mellitus”
- “Study of Masked hypoglycemia in pregnant women with gestational diabetes on insulin”
CLINICAL TRIAL EXPERIENCE:
HOPE-3 Study. In collaboration with McMaster university and St John’s Unit of Clinical Trials.A large simple multi centre, international randomized placebo-controlled trial, utilizing a 2X2 factorial design and evaluating cholesterol modification with Rosuvastatin vs. placebo, blood pressure lowering with candesartan/HCT vs. placebo on major vascular events.(Phase III).
Ref : CSOM230G2304- A randomized, double-blind, multicenter, phase III study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of pasireotide LAR in patients with Cushing’s disease.
Ref: CSOM230B2411.A Phase II trial to assess the efficacy and safety of pasireotide S.C. alone or in combination with cabergoline in patients with Cushing’s disease.
Ref:BIAsp-4157A 32-week Randomised, multinational, treat-to-target, open label,parallel group comparison of stepwise insulin intensification ofbiphasic insulin aspart (BIAsp) 30 and basal-bolus therapy withinsulin glargine and insulin aspart in insulin naïve type 2 diabetic patients inadequately controlled on oral anti-diabetic therapy.
Role: Principal Investigator
Ref: LANDMARC: A LongitudinAl Nationwide stuDy on Management And Real-world outComes of Diabetes in India
Role: Principal Investigator
LIST OF PUBLICATION/ABSTRACTS:
- Doddabelavangala Mruthyunjaya M, Chapla A, Hesarghatta Shyamasunder A, Varghese D, Varshney M, Paul J, et al. (2017) Comprehensive Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY) Gene Screening in Pregnant Women with Diabetes in India. PLoS ONE 12(1): e0168656. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0168656
- Asha HS, Kristal RB, Mruthyunjaya MD, et al. (2016). Peer Support Group Model Improves Glycemic Control and Social Well-being in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in India. scientonline.org/fulltext/peer-support-group-model-improves-glycemic-control-and-social-well-being-in-type-1-diabetes-mellitus-in-india/21299
- Felix K Jebasingh, DM Mahesh,Samantha Sathyakumar, Elanthenral Sigamani, Thomas V Paul, AN UNCOMMON CAUSE FOR POLYURIA. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research [serial online]2015 Dec[cited:2016 Feb 9] 12 OJ01 – OJ02
- Dukhabandhu Naik, D M Mahesh, H S Asha, Deepak T Abraham, Nylla Shanthly, Anuradha Chandramohan, Deepak Burad, Banumathi Ramakrishna, M J Paul, Nitin Kapoor, Thomas Paul, Ari G Chacko & Nihal Thomas. A complex case of MEN1 Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P101 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P101
- Dukhabandhu Naik, R M Shilpa, D M Mahesh, H S Asha, Nitin Kapoor, Thomas Paul, V Padmanabhan, Mercy Inbakumari, Flory Christina, Jansi Rani, Divya Natarajan, L Jeyaseelan & Nihal Thomas. Evaluation of hypoglycaemia unawareness in individuals with type 1 diabetes mellitus using continuous glucose monitoring in a tertiary care centre. Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P271 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P271
- Dukhabandhu Naik, Riddhi Das Gupta, H S Asha, Thomas V Paul, Nitin Kapoor, D M Mahesh,Anish Jacob Cherian, Deepak T Abraham, Nylla Shanthly, Reji Oomen, Anuradha Chandramohan, Banumathi Ramakrishna, Rekha Pai, M J Paul, Simon Rajaratnam & Nihal Thomas. Phaeochromocytoma: experience from a single centre in South India. Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P77 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.38.P77
- D.M,Aaron Chapla C, Sahana Shetty, Asha Hesarghatta Shyamasunder, Lydia Mathew, Renu George, Thomas Vizhalil Paul, and Nihal Thomas (2015) THE H SYNDROME: MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS USING NEXT GENERATION SEQUENCING. AACE Clinical Case Reports In-Press. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4158/EP15762.CR
- Mahesh DM, Jebasingh FK, Baruah MP, Nihal Thomas. Cretinism presenting as a pseudotumour. BMJ Case Rep 2015, Published online:doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-206124
- Aaron Chapla1,Mahesh Doddabelavangala Mruthyunjaya1,Hesarghatta Shyamasunder Asha1, Denny Varghese1, Manika Varshney1, Senthil K Vasan1,3, Padmanaban Venkatesan1,Veena Nair1, Sarah Mathai2, Thomas Vizhalil Paul1and Nihal Thomas1,* Maturity onset diabetes of the young in India -a distinctive mutation pattern identified through targeted next generation sequencing. Published online: 5 JUL 2014. DOI: 10.1111/cen.12541
- Mahesh D M,Nehru Arun G, Seshadri M S, Thomas Nihal, Nair Aravindan, Pai Rekha, Rajaratnam Simon. RET mutations in a large indian family with medullary thyroid carcinoma. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014;18(4):516-520.
- Mahesh DM, Kishore Kumar Behera,Kanakamani J, Sudipta Dhar Chowdhury, Balaji G,Thomas N. Total Pancreatic lipomatosis.Endocrine Prac. 2013
- Mahesh DM, Deepak T Abraham, Regi Oommen, Thomas V Paul. Recurrent Idiopathic Pancreatitis with Mediastinal Ectopic Parathyroid adenoma. Endocrine Prac. 2013
- Mahesh D. M., Nihal Thomas, Asha H. S., Nitin Kapoor, Renu George, M. J. Paul, Philip Joseph, Nylla Shanthly, Anuradha C.INSULINOMA in MEN-1. Indian J Endocr Metab 2012;16, Suppl S2:514-24
- Varghese RT, Mahesh DM, Oommen R, Prasad JH, Unnikrishnan LS, Thomas N. Emesis in diabetes mellitus.Prim Care Diabetes. 2012 Dec;6(4):337-40.
- Kumar S, Mahesh DM, Vignesh G, Sagili H, Dhanapathi H, Hamide A. Congenital hypothyroidism presenting as menorrhagia in adulthood.J Assoc Physicians India. 2013;61(9):660-1.
- Kamalanathan S, Mahesh DM, Muruganandham K, Basu D. Black adrenal adenoma: distinction from PPNAD.BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Jul 3;2012
- Balachandran K, Vignesh G, Mahesh DM, Girish P, Kamalanathan CS, Sahoo JP, Hamide A. Reassessment of elicitation of myoedema in evaluation of overt hypothyroidism: A pilot study.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Dec;16(Suppl 2):S356-7.
- Kamalanathan SC, Mahesh DM, Vignesh G, Halanaik D. Symptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism in Indians.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Jul;15(3):229-30.
- Raina S,Mahesh D M, Rajendra G, Chauhan NS. Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2012;3:222-4.
- Chauhan V, Kumar RV, Mahesh DM, Kashyap R, Thakur S. Adult type 3 Gaucher disease as manifestation of R463C/Rec Nci I mutation: first reported case in the world literature.J Assoc Physicians India. 2013;61(5):346-8.
- Sarkar M, Mahesh DM, Madabhavi I. Ftria12 Oct;29(4):354-62.
- Raina S, Dogra V, Mahesh DM, Raghuvansi A, Bharti V, Kashyap R, Gupta D. Kartagener’s syndrome with right bundle branch block and polydactyly.J Assoc Physicians India. 2012 Apr;60:58.
- Chauhan V, Mahesh DM, Panda P, Mahajan S, Thakur S. Tuberculosis cutis orificialis (TBCO): a rare manifestation of tuberculosis.J Assoc Physicians India. 2012 Feb;60:126-7.
- Mahesh DM, Chauhan V, Mokta J, Mokta KK, Thakur S. Striae–an unusual cause.J Assoc Physicians India. 2011 Aug;59:514
- Chauhan V, Mahesh DM, Panda P, Mokta J, Thakur S. Leptospirosis presenting as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in sub-Himalayan region.J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 Jun;58:390-1.
- Chauhan V, Mahesh DM, Panda P, Mokta J, Thakur S. Profile of patients of leptospirosis in sub-Himalayan region of North India.J Assoc Physicians India. 2010 Jun;58:354-6.
- Raina S, Mahesh DM, Kaul R, Satindera KS, Gupta D, Sharma A, Thakur S. A new focus of visceral leishmaniasis in the Himalayas, India.J Vector Borne Dis. 2009 Dec;46(4):303-6.
- Aggarwal P, Mahesh DM, Ravi Kumar V, Himral P, Kaushal SS, Verma BS. Atypical eschar sites in scrub typhus in sub-Himalayas.J Assoc Physicians India. 2009 Feb;57:154.
- Raina S, Kaul R, Mahesh DM, Kaushal SS, Gupta D, Sharma J. Pleural effusion in acute myeloid leukemia.J Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Nov;56:914-5.
- Raina S, Mahesh DM, Mahajan J, Kaushal SS, Gupta D, Dhiman DS. Marchiafava-Bignami disease.J Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Aug;56:633-5.
- Raina S, Mahesh DM, Kaushal SS, Gupta D, Dhiman DS, Negi A, Sharma S. Alkaptonuria and intramedullary calcification.J Assoc Physicians India. 2008 Jul;56:552-5.
- Sujeet Raina, Mahesh DM, VivekSood, SanjeevAsotra, SS Kaushal, Dilip Gupta. Paget- Schroetter Syndrome. JIACM 2008; 9(3): 230-2
- Sujeet Raina, Mahesh DM, VivekSood, SS Kaushal, Dalip Gupta, SanjeevAsotra. Bifasicular Block in Graves’ Hyperthyroidism.JIACM 2009; 10(1 & 2): 63-4
- S Raina, J Mahajan, Mahesh, SS Kaushal, D Gupta, Asha Negi Emphysematous Pyelonephritis. JAPI 2009;57:37
- Raina S, Mahesh DM, Sood V, Kaushal SS, Gupta D. Self injection of Dichlorvos, an Organophosphorus Compound. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2008;7(2):9.
- Raina S, Mahesh DM, Sood V, Mokta JK, Raina R, Kaushal SS. Giant intra-abdominal hydatid cysts with multivisceral locations. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2008;7(2):10
- Aaron Chapla · D.M. Mahesh · D. Varghese · S.V. Nadig · H.S. Asha · Ron Thomas Varghese · M. Inbakumari · F. Christina · S. Mathai · T.V. Paul · Nihal Thomas· Conference Paper · Oct 2013. Next Generation Sequencing Coupled with a Novel Multiplex PCR Protocol for Comprehensive Genetic Screening of Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young in India.
- Thomas Nihal; Mahesh D M; Chapla Aaron; Paul Johan; Shwetha N; Christina Flory; Asha H S. Does TCF7L2 polymorphisms increase the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in South Indian population? http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0034/ea0034p270.htm Published: 2014-03-01
- Paul Thomas; Mruthyunjaya Mahesh; Shyamasunder Asha; Naik Dukhabandu; Rajaratnam Simon; Thomas Nihal. AUDIT of patients referred for DXA scanning in a south Indian Tertiary care centre. http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0031/ea0031p31.htm Published: 2013-03-01
- Paul Thomas; Mruthyunjaya Mahesh; Shyamasunder Asha; Naik Dukhabandu; Rajaratnam Simon; Thomas Nihal; Seshadri Mandalam. The diagnosis of osteoporosis among subjects of Southern Indian origin above 50 years of age: the impact of the indian council of medical research vs caucasian bone mineral density reference standards.http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0031/ea0031p27.htm Published: 2013-03-01.
Books/chapters/Journals: I have more than 35 publications in various journals
- I have authored chapters in the 6th & 7th edition of “A Practical Guide to Diabetes Mellitus by Department of Endocrinology, Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- I have also authored a chapter Clinical application of genetic in diabetes in the book titled “RSSDI-Annual Conference Update-2015”
Society Membership (Life Member)
Indian Medical Association
Association of Physicians of India (H.P Chapter)
Youth Hostels Association of India.