Orthopaedic Surgeon | Specialized in limb deformity, problem fractures, complex high energy limb injuries including open fractures with bone loss and the treatment of Osteomyelitis. Qualifications include FRCS, T &O, DNB, T & O, MRCS (Edin), Diploma T&O
- FRCS, T &O Royal College of Surgeons, UK (2016)
- DNB, T & O National Board of Exams, New Delhi, India (2001)
- MRCS (Edin) Royal College of Surgeons, UK (2006)
- Diploma T&O Gulbarga University, India (1998)
- B.B.S Gulbarga University, India (1995)
Fellowship in Limb Reconstruction – Royal Liverpool University Hospitals (2012)
The Limb Reconstruction Fellowship in Liverpool provided me with intensive hands on experience in the application of the principles of the ILIZAROV method. The fellowship provided me with an opportunity to get involved in the management of limb deformity, problem fractures, complex high energy limb injuries including open fractures with bone loss and the treatment of Osteomyelitis at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.
Thesis for DNB in Trauma and Orthopaedics (India) on “Internal fixation of closed fractures of shaft of Humerus in adults”
The Aim of the study was to evaluate subjectively, objectively and functionally the results of internal fixation of fracture shaft of Humerus in adults for a period of 5 years. Based on modified Zagorski et al criteria, 16 patients had excellent and 6 patients had good results.
The conclusions were, 1) The middle third of bone is most vulnerable portion of shaft of Humerus where transverse fracture occur. 2) Common indication for ORIF is concurrent multiple injury
3) Plates applied on anterolateral surface (posterior surface is tension surface) gave excellent results.
- “Outcome of Quadriceps tendon repair” – Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, June 06
- “Bilateral fractured clavicles with multiple rib fractures”-Image in Emergency Medicine Sep 07
- Letter to Editor published in JBJS (Br) February 2011
- Radiographic Assessment of Dynamic Hip Screw fixation
Abstract published in Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery – British Volume, Vol 88-B, Issue SUPP_I, 70.
- Hylan GF-20 viscosupplementation in the treatment of symptomatic osteoarthritis of the
knee: long-term follow-up results at 5 years, Knee Surg Relat Res 2017 Jun;29(2):129-136
- Reviewer forIndian Journal of Orthopaedics, a journal with Impact Factor of 0.737
- Deformities, their classification, and principles of deformity correction and limb reconstruction- Guest lecture at Basic Ilizarov Plus course, Chennai, December 2016
- Management of Open fractures- Guest lecture at ASAMICON, January 2017
- How do I assess Nonunion (based on my experience in Liverpool), Guest lecture at ASAMICON, January 2017
- 1stEPISODE OF TRAUMATIC SHOULDER DISLOCATION IN YOUNG PATIENT: CURRENT
CONCEPTS AND MANAGEMENT- Guest lecture at KOACON, Hubli, February 2017
- Faculty for teaching in Dynamic hip screw fixation workshopaimed to FY2 Doctors, Alexandra Hospital, Redditch, UK November 2014
- Faculty for“CRASH COURSE IN OVERSEAS MEDICINE” at Cheltenham General Hospital for 3 yrs
- Delivered two lectures to nursing staffof newly opened Ryeworth ward at Cheltenham General Hospital regarding fracture neck of femur including management.
- Successfully completed Fit2teachworkshop conducted by University of Bristol (2011)
Presentations & Posters
- ARE WE LOSING THE ABILITY TO WALK BAREFOOT? – Poster presented at Annual Karnataka Orthopaedic conference, Hubli, February 2017
- Radiographic Assessment of Dynamic Hip Screw fixation–Annual BTS Meeting, London, October 2003. (Paper)
- Are TEDS used effectively? A Study —Annual BTS meeting, Leeds, October 2006 (Poster)
- A Review of Torus fractures of distal radius— Annual BTS meeting, Leeds, October 2006
- Chalk fractures of thoracolumbar spine need stabalisation–Cardiff Current Concepts in Spinal Surgery Meeting- May 2011
- Health talk on Osteoarthritis in Hindu Cultural Association, Gloucester along with Dr Muthu, Rheumatologist who gave a talk on RA to a crowd of 50 people – June 2011
- BOA guidelines on open fracturesto Orthopaedic Surgeons Meeting, Chetenham General Hospital, February 2011
- Examination of Hand-Departmental Meeting, Burnley DGH, July 05
- Examination of Spine—Departmental Meeting, Burnley DGH, March 05
- Use of Screws in Orthopaedics-Clinical Meeting, Medway Hospital, Kent, May 03
- Batcheolar’s extra articular subtalar arthrodesis-Madurai Orthopaedics Society Meeting, Nov 1999
- Tibial plateau fractures-Madurai Orthopaedics Society Meeting, August 1999
- Aneurysmal bone cyst– Madurai Orthopaedics Society Meeting, July 1999
- Developmental dysplasia of hip-Madurai Orthopaedics Society Meeting, May 1999
- Fibrous dysplasia—Madurai Orthopaedics Society Meeting, March 1999
- Hyaluronic acid intra-articular injections in the treatment of symptomatic osteoarthritis of the knee: follow-up results at 5 years, Alexandra Hospital, Redditch , 04/02/2016
- Clinical & Radiological outcome after THR, Alexandra Hospital, Redditch , 04/02/2015
- Review of Admissions, Management & Outcome Of Spinal Patients in Cheltenham General Hospital and Cross County Referral, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, September 2011
– None of the patients with suspected cauda equina syndrome had cord compression on MRI. No obvious difficulty in being referred to Spine team noted
- Hand Clinic Audit, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, May 2011 -Average time to surgery for hand injuries excluding distal radius fractures was ~ 7 days. Two cases per month were referred to Plastics unit at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol
- Fractures of tibia and femur treated with IM Nail at Cheltenham General Hospital, July 2010
Looked at patients who had IM nail in one year and recommended measures to help improve patient care
- Audit on TEDS, Burnley DGH, July 2005.
We inspected the state of TEDS in ward patients. Only 66% of all patients having TEDS had satisfactory positioning of TEDS. Only 12 (50%) of above knee TEDS were satisfactory.
- Outcome ofQuadriceps tendon repair, Airedale General Hospital, May 2004.
Symptomatic outcome following surgical repair was good with a mean symptom score generated of 19.16 out of maximum of 25 using Rougraff et al scoring system. The final mean active ROM of the affected limb was 0.5-102.5.
- Radiological Assessment of Dynamic Hip Screw Fixation, Ormskirk DGH, July 2003.
Only 66% of all patients having DHS fixation had “good” placement of device and only 53% had a “good” reduction.
- Regular Morbidity & Mortality Audits
Management and IT Skills
- NHS Leadership Academy Awardin Leadership Foundations, UK- May 2016
- Set up Shoulder Databasefor prospective recording of oxford shoulder scores for shoulder unit at Cheltenham General Hospital
- Set up Departmental Libraryfor Dept of Orthopaedics which involved purchasing books and acting as first departmental Librarian at Cheltenham General Hospital
- Organised Orthopaedic teams photos for 1 year at Glocuester Royal Hospital
- lead a team of paramedical staffin managing rural clinics for 4 months in Bijapur, India
- conducted bedside clinicsfor undergraduates as final year postgraduate student in Orthopaedics
- investigated awareness of health and family planning in rural India, under programme of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, sponsored by UNICEF
- managed financesof Mess during under graduation
- participated in anatomy exhibition explaining functions of heart with help of cadaver heart and model during silver jubilee celebrations of Govt medical college, Bellary, India
- Competant in internet literature searches with Medline and PUBMED
- Passed ECDL(European computer driving license) 08
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Course, London, UK 9 &10thApril 2016
- Watanabe Advanced Shoulder Reconstruction course, York, UK, 1& 2ndMarch 2016
- Quality Improvement and Surgical Workshop, RCSED, UK, 4 December 2014
- CME onCurrent Concepts in Lower limb Surgery, Heartlands Hospitals Trust, 25/10/2014
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Lister Hospital, Steevenage, February 2004(Retest 08, 13)
- TSF External fixatorcourse, Smith and Nephew Lab, York, July 2012
- Cardiff Current Literature Review Course January 2012
- Attended Basic science (Stanmore), Clinical (Oswestry), Viva (RCS,London and Miller’s course, Oxford), Paediatrics (Bristol) Courses towards preparation of FRCS (T &O) –2011-2012
- Techniques in revision hip surgery, PALACOS Meet, Bristol, October 2011
- Basic Foot and Ankle Course, Cheltenham General Hospital, October 2010
- Combined Open Tibial Fracture Management Course, Imperial College Charing Cross Hospital Campus, 10 – 12 February 2010
- CPT THRcourse, Bristol, July 09
- Oxford Unicondylar Knee Course, Oxford, September 08
- Exeter Hip Course, Exeter, June 08
- Revision of Anatomy and Surgical Procedures, University of Oxford, March 08
- Advanced Life Support Course (ALS), Airedale General Hospital, Steeton, June 2004 (Retest 07)
- Basic Hip Arthroplasty, RNOH, Stanmore, 2006
- Basic Knee Arthroplasty, RNOH, Stanmore, 2006
- CCrISP Course, RCS, London, June 2006.
- Anatomy and Surgical exposures in Orthopaedics, Oswestry, January 2006.
- Basic Knee Arthroscopy course, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, Dec 2005.
- Basic Principles ofAO Fracture fixation, Leeds, July 2005.
- Anatomical perspectives for MRCS, St Andrew’s Medical School, Bute, February 2005.
- Basic Surgical Skills Course (BSS), Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, September 2004.
- Overseas Doctors Induction Course, London Deanery, London, July 2003
- Hands-on workshop in Arthroscopy and Total Knee Replacement, IORAS,Madurai, April 99
- Spine workshop, Orthocon, Coimbatore, India, September 99